- Public Works
- Recycling & Trash Collection
Recycling & Trash Collection
The Village contracts with GFL Environmental for the collection of garbage and recyclables. Pickup day is Wednesday, except for the week of Memorial and Labor Days, then pickup day is Thursday. Pick up may be altered the week of July 4th and Christmas, depending on when the Holiday falls. Please have your garbage and recyclables curbside by 6:00 AM. Recycling will be picked up every other week, please view the MAP to see how the village is divided.
To prevent your trash or recycling from being left at the curb, please follow proper trash-handling procedures, which have been established by GFL, to comply with state law and to provide a safe work environment for their employees. Trash or recycling which does not comply will be tagged by GFL's, and left behind.
Recyclables should be properly separated (see below) from garbage. Any recyclables not properly separated may be refused for collection. All recyclables, including paper and cardboard, should be placed directly in the recycling container. Recyclables should never be placed loose at curbside.
Please note that violations of the Village’s recycling ordinance can lead to fines of $25 to $500 for each offense.
Can that be placed curbside??
- Construction debris, concrete and rubble must be disposed of at the owner’s expenses through private contracting.
- Oil filters and blacktop seal cans can be placed with the garbage.
- Cooking oil can be placed in a sealed can or jar and placed in the garbage.
- Light bulbs (except florescent), mirrors, window glass, ceramic and china can be placed in the garbage.
- Lids from jars, bottles or other containers should be placed in the garbage.
State law requires individuals to recycle. To help facilitate this, the Village provides for the curbside collection of the the following categories of recyclables, please place recycles directly in container, do not bag:
- Plastics (Numbers 1 through 7)
View a printable page of Proper Recycling Guidelines (PDF).
View a printable page of the 2023 Garbage Collection Schedule (PDF)
Recyclables are now picked up every other week.
Answers to Some Frequently Asked Recycling Questions:
- Cardboard, newspapers, and magazines can be recycled together, and can even be mixed with plastics, tin or glass.
- All plastics (labeled #1-#7) should be recycled. Caps should be removed and placed in the garbage.
- Cardboard cereal boxes, paper towel & toilet paper rolls are recyclable.
- Juice boxes, ready-to-drink orange juice containers, milk cartons, and many frozen meal boxes are recyclable.