- Village Clerk/Treasurer
- Elections & Voting
- Voter Registration
How Do I Register to Vote?
All voters in Wisconsin must register prior to being able to vote. Currently Wisconsin does still allow "same-day voter registration", i.e. registering at the polls on election day, however, registering in advance is recommended as you may not be allowed to vote or may be required to vote a provisional ballot (which requires follow-up information from you prior to being counted) if there are any questions or you are missing any of the information required for your registration.
In Person Registration
You may register to vote anytime up to the Friday before an election at the Village Clerk-Treasurer’s office (no registration may take place on the Saturday, Sunday or Monday prior to an election). You will need the following:
- Voter Registration Form. (When you register to vote in our office, you will complete the registration application on a computer set up for that purpose. This allows your information to be entered directly into the statewide voter registration system.)
- A Wisconsin Driver’s License or ID, OR if you do not have one, the last four digits of your social security number. If you have a driver’s license or ID, but just don’t have it along, you may not use your social security number. We are required by state law to collect your driver’s license number.
- Proof of residence.
These documents constitute proof of residence if they:
- Contain the voter’s current and complete first and last name and residential address, and are valid on the day used to register to vote.
- A current and valid WI Driver License/ID Card
- Any other official identification card or license issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit
- An employee ID card with a photograph, but not a business card
- A real property tax bill or receipt for the current year or the year preceding the date of the election
- A residential lease (Does not count as proof of residence if elector submits form by mail)
- A picture ID from a university, college or technical college coupled with a fee receipt
- A picture ID from a university, college or technical college coupled with an on-campus housing listing provided by the university, college or technical college to the municipality that denotes US Citizenship
- A utility bill for the period commencing not earlier than 90 days before the day registration is made
- (Homeless voters only) A letter from an organization that provides services to the the homeless that identifies the voter and describes the location designated as the person’s residence for voting purposes
- Bank statement**
- A check or other document issued by a unit of government**
**Electronic versions are also acceptable.
Mail In Registration
You may also mail in your registration. If you are a first time voter in Wisconsin, you must include a copy of your proof of residence with your application. The State of Wisconsin has a website to assist voters in registering. Please go to the MyVote website to complete your registration form. You must still print the registration form, sign it, and mail it to us along with your proof of residency document to complete your registration. Please send your completed Voter Registration Form and proof of residence to:
Howards Grove Village Clerk/Treasurer
913 S. Wisconsin Drive
Howards Grove, WI 53083